What is eMR Connect?
The eMR Connect Program is delivering a statewide, comprehensive electronic medical record (eMR). The Program is an integral part of the eHealth Strategy for NSW Health: 2016-2026 to deliver integrated care solutions to enhance the quality of patient care and improve health outcomes. We are rolling out electronic medical records for patients in hospitals, including electronic medication management, and have extended the state-wide electronic medical record to support community health and outpatient care.
The eMR Connect Program collaborates with Local Health Districts, NSW Health pillars and other eHealth NSW Clinical Programs to deliver smarter, safer, better ways of supporting clinicians caring for patients across the state.
Total planned eMR Connect sites
Note: Justice and Forensic Mental Health facilities not included in total sites
The eMR supports:
- More accurate and complete clinical information about a patient
- Improved communication between healthcare settings and health professionals – within hospitals and across the healthcare system
- Reduced adverse events due to miscommunication or incomplete information
- Guidance for clinical assessments and best practice decision making
- Alerts about allergies and other important health-related issues
Extending the capabilities of the eMR to support patient care.
- Introducing automated tasks, orders and referrals
- In-built reference tools for continuous learning
- Aligns practices with Clinical Excellence Commission initiatives:
- In Safe Hands
- Falls Risk Assessment
- Pressure Injury Risk Assessment
- Between the Flags
- Introducing electronic medication management (eMeds) to enhance use of medications in the NSW health system and reduce medication errors and adverse drug events
Supporting clinicians and coordination of patient care across outpatient and community care settings.
- Delivering access to a patient’s clinical information across NSW community health and outpatient care services:
- Aboriginal Health
- Aged and Chronic Care
- Allied Health
- Child, Youth and Family
- Community Home Nursing
- Sexual Health
- Mental Health
- Drug and Alcohol
- Giving clinicians across multiple sites timely access to information previously captured on paper
- Managing appointment scheduling, wait lists and referrals between local health service providers
For more information about the functionality being delivered, see:
- CHOC Electronic Medical Record
- Electronic Medical Record
- Electronic Medication Management (eMeds)
- End of Life Care project