Health Wide Area Network
The Health Wide Area Network (HWAN) will deliver a statewide network which will support statewide services and applications.
The HWAN will provide a network which will support remote access, multimedia applications and services, data exchange voice and video services as well as wireless access across NSW Health laying the foundation for the successful delivery of clinical programs such as Electronic Medications Management (EMM).
Consolidation of the health networks will:
- Increase performance reliability of frontline clinical and real time applications such as Electronic Medication Management (eMM) and Electronic Medical Records (eMR)
- Increase resilience at large hospitals
- Increase security for health applications and system access
- Provide seamless integration and virtualisation of the whole-of-government data centres
- Reduce costs through consolidation of common gateways into data centres
- Support the rollout of statewide conferencing and collaboration
- Leverage National Broadband Network (NBN) as it become available
- Facilitate replacement of aging technologies such as telephone systems.