The effective roll out of eHealth must be both centralised to ensure standardisation of systems and localised to promote innovation and adapt to the needs of individual clinicians and patients.
eHealth clinical applications help doctors, nurses, allied health clinicians and managers provide safe, quality care, and enable patients to control their own healthcare which includes:
- Electronic medical records that provide clinicians with accurate and interactive patient information and the supporting infrastructure and service
- Digital medical images accessible to clinicians anywhere in the hospital or remotely through the state, supported by reporting systems
- Electronic prescribing systems increasing safety and effectiveness
- Patient Administration Systems that track the patient journey
- National eHealth Record (NeHR) enabling patients access to their personal health information whenever they need it.